Mick Jones and B.A.D on location in Ibiza 1990, spot the landmarks: Ku, Amnesia, Salinas, Captain Birdseye, even a flyover from a charter flight…
I recently found a couple of Cafe del Mar mixtapes, vols 2 & 8, I’m guessing they were bought in Summer 1991 (?) from legendary resident DJ Jose Padilla who used to sell them from behind the decks. He got bored of my nagging him for track id’s so he let me copy the track lists from his notebook. Maybe I’ll dig out the cassette deck and digitise them sometime, but for now here’s the track list and some links for volume 2. It’s a seminal collection, the Balearic blue print of ambient, electronics, classical, new-age, film scores and rock all going into the mix…
- Wally Baderou – Mt. Fuji and the Mime
- Jean-Michel Jarre – Souvenir of China
- Yello – Blue Green
- Wally Baderou – The Dachstein Angels
- Penguin Cafe Orchestra – Perpetuum Mobile
- Jon & Vangelis – I hear you now
- Steve Miller – Wild Honey
- Laurie Anderson – White lily
- Laurie Anderson – Radar
- Marianne Faithfull – The Hawk
- Astor Piazolla – Regresso al Amor
- Mark Isham – Interest Persued
- Art of Noise – Moments in Love
- Jean-Michel Jarre – Oxygene
‘I put a seashell to my ear…’
I put a seashell to my ear, and it all comes back.
The yellow sun,
the Mediterranean blue of the sky,
The children running on the beach that day,
The killdeer birds marching in formation
Down to the sea and back, down to the sea and back.
When my memory wanders, as it does when bad things happen,
I put a seashell to my ear and it all comes back.
Even the gypsies
It all comes back.
You see what loving does?
It makes you trust in horoscopes
and gypsy wands
and fortune tellers
and even seashells.
I still believe in love.
It’s hard these days, you know?
And yet it’s still a great adventure
Better than blowing bridges
Or a bus ride to Chicago
Even better than running away from home to join the gypsies.